||Volunteers in Sport
ed. Geoff Nichols (2003)
ISBN 0 906337 91 7; £13.50
- Volunteers in Sport ~ Introduction . . . Geoff Nichols
- Volunteering in English Sport: an Interim Discussion in Relation
to National Governing Bodies of Sport. . . Matthew James, Geoff
Nichols and Peter Taylor
- Modelling the Decision to become a Coach. . . Brian E Wilson
- The XVII Commonwealth Games ~ An Initial Overview
of the Expectations and Experiences of Volunteers . . . Rita
Ralston, Paul Downward and Les Lumsdon
- The Response of Voluntary Sports Clubs to Sports England's
Lottery Funding: Cases of Compliance, Change and Resistance .
. . Richard Garrett
||Leisure Cultures: Investigations in Sport, Media and
eds S. Fleming and
I. Jones (2003
ISBN 0 906337 90 9; £36
- Leisure Cultures: Investigations in Sport, Media and Technology
~ Introduction . . . Scott Fleming and Ian Jones
- About the Contributors
- The Gendering of Computer Gaming: Experience and Space .
. . Jo Bryce and Jason Rutter
- The Global, the Local and the Subcultural: Virtual Communities
and Popular Music in Singapore . . . Yasser Mattar
- "These are the Voyages ": Issues Around Interaction
in Real and Virtual Space Environments in Leisure . . . Lesley
- Research with the Gloves On - An 'Insiders' Knowledge in
the Critique of Competitive Boxing in England . . . Alex Stewart
- Consuming Images of Lifestyle Sports . . . Belinda Wheaton
and Becky Beal
- 'Fair Play' in Elite Women's Field Hockey: An Ethnographic
Case-study . . . Scott Fleming and Alison Williams
- The Culture of Market-Oriented and Televised Soccer in Israel:
A State of Anomie . . . Natan Uriely and Abraham Mehrez
- Leisure and the Civilising Process: A Case Study of the Herts
Advertiser, 1900-2000 . . . Ian Jones
- Leisure Constraint Factors on the Recreational Sporting Activities
of Participants and Non-participants in Iran . . . Mohammad Ehsani
- Sport, Body Performance and the Maintenance of 'Exclusive
Masculinity' . . . Ian Wellard
- Social Comparison and Self-Conscious Emotion: A Functional
Perspective . . . Simon Dalley
||Partnerships in Leisure: Sport, Tourism and Management
eds G. Berridge and
G. McFee (2003)
ISBN 0 906337 89 5; £32
Part One: The Very Idea of Partnership
- Introduction - Partnerships in Leisure: Sport, tourism and
management . . . Graham Berridge
and Graham McFee
- "Partnering is such sweet sorrow": Some perils
of partnership . . . Graham McFee
Part Two: Paying for Partnerships
- 'Leafy Glade' and 'City Centre' Relate: A case of marital
strife in the voluntary sector? . . . Martin
Gammell and Graham Symon
- Support Networks for Local Volunteers: A case study of Athletics
and Rugby Union . . . Andrew Adams
and John Deane
- The Development of East Manchester Youth Training Opportunities
in the Run-up to the Commonwealth Games 2002 . . .
Maggie Jones and Terry Stokes
- Brains and Brawn: A sporting partnership - the New Zealand
Rugby Football Union and Massey University . . .
Sarah Leberman and Brendon Ratcliff
Part Three: Marketing Forces
- Market Orientation For Public Sector Sport and Recreation
Providers . . . John Beaumont-Kerridge
- Partnerships in Tourism: Crossing the leisurebusiness
divide via cluster theory . . . E.
Kate Armstrong and Peter Murphy
- Using the Outdoors to Promote the Learning of Managerial
Skills: Analysing the process of learning transfer . . .
Veronica Burke, David Collins and Mick Earle
- Examination of Internet Usage as an Integrated Tool for the
Management and Marketing of Costa Rican Tourism Businesses: An
exploratory assessment . . . Sarah
Guroff and Stuart Cottrell
Part Four: Access and Sustainability
- Leisure Choices - Is there a crisis in the market for visitor
attractions in the UK? . . . Angela
- Planning Journeys to Leisure Sites: A look at the SALSA project
. . . Graham Berridge
||Leisure Studies: Trends in Theory and Research
eds L. Lawrence and
S. R. Parker (2002)
ISBN 0 906337 88 7; £26
Editors' Introduction . . . Stan
Parker and Lesley Lawrence
- Back to the Future: Leisure Studies in Retrospect and Prospect
. . . Chas Critcher
- Which Way for Leisure? . . . Stan
- Leisure Studies: Discourses of Knowledge, Power and Theoretical
'Crisis' . . . Cara Aitchison
- Leisure Studies at the Millennium: Intellectual Crisis or
Mature Complacency? . . . A. J. Veal
II Under-represented Groups
- Retirement and Serious Leisure . . .
Jonathan Long and Sheila Scraton
- The Big OE: New Zealanders' Overseas Experience in Britain
. . . Peter Mason
- Transgender Youth: Challenging Traditional 'Girl-boy' Activities
~ Implications of an Exploratory Study . . .
Arnold H. Grossman, Timothy S. O'Connell and Anthony R.
III Applications and Approaches
- The Demand for Professional Team Sports: Critical Reflection
on Economic Enquiry . . . Paul Downward
- Continuity, Truth and Lies in Topical Life Histories: the
Sport and Physical Activity Experiences of Adults . . .
- Perceptions, Pedagogy and Process: An Investigation into
the Effects on Students and Staff of the Provision of a Module
in Leisure Studies Underpinned by Feminist Theories . . .
Barbara Humberstone and Laura Kirby
- Riding the Slipstream: An Experience with Multidisciplinary
Working Partnerships . . . Lynne
M. Robinson, Laurene Rehman and Joanne MacQueen
||Sport Tourism: Practice and Principles
eds S. Gammon and J.
ISBN 0 906337 87 9; £24
Editors' Introduction . . . Sean
Gammon and Joseph Kurtzman
I: Sport Tourism Manifestations
- Small-Scale Event Sport Tourism: College Sport as a Tourist
Attraction . . . Heather J. Gibson,
Cynthia Willming and Andrew Holdnak
- Sport and Tourism Development: Avenues of tourism development
associated with a regional sport franchise at an urban tourism
destination . . . James Higham and
- Football Hooligans as Undesirable Sports Tourists: Some Meta-Analytical
Speculations . . . Mike Weed
- Stadia and Tourism . . . Geraint
- Fantasy, Nostalgia and the Pursuit of What Never Was . . .
II: Sport Tourism Impacts
- Socio-cultural Impacts of Visitors to the Network Q Rally
of Great Britain on a Rural Community in Mid-Wales . . .
Paul Blakey, Martin Metcalfe, John Mitchell and Peter Weatherhead
- The Downhill Skier in Banff National Park: An Endangered
Species . . . Simon Hudson
- Sport Tourism, a Growing Sector: Issues and Perspectives
in France . . . Charles Pigeassou
- Sport Tourism at a Crossroad? Considerations for the future
. . . Heather J. Gibson
||Leisure Volunteering: Marginal or Inclusive?
eds M. Graham and M. Foley (2001)
ISBN 0 906337 86 0; £29.50
Editors' Introduction . . . Margaret
Graham and Malcolm Foley
- Volunteering ~ Mainstream and Marginal: Preserving the Leisure
Experience . . . Robert A. Stebbins
- Research Questions for Volunteering in Leisure . . .
Geoff Nichols and Richard Garrett
- Volunteering, Citizenship and Action Research . . .
- Volunteerism in Sports Coaching - A Tayside Study . . .
- The Role of Museum Volunteering in Relieving Social Isolation
. . . Margaret Graham
- The Strategic Responses of Voluntary Sports Clubs to Sport
England's Lottery Fund . . . Richard
- The Motivation and Retention of Front-of-House Volunteers
at Museums and Heritage Attractions . . .
||Leisure Cultures, Consumption and Commodification
ed J. Horne (2001)
ISBN 0 906337 85 2; £33
Editor's Introduction: Studying Leisure Cultures, Consumption
and Commodification . . . John Horne
Part One: Diffusion, Transformation and Contestation
- Anti-consumption or 'New' Consumption? Commodification, Identity
and 'New Football' . . . Carlton
- Football Clubs on the Stock Exchange: An Inappropriate Match?
The Case of Celtic plc . . . Stephen
- Centres and Peripheries: An Historical Perspective on the
Diffusion of Leisure Practices in Rural Nineteenth Century Scotland
. . . Lorna Jackson
- Selling the Arts: Centre-Periphery Tensions in Commodification
Processes . . . Clive Gray
- Technological Development and Changing Leisure Practices
. . . Jo Bryce
Part Two: Consumption, Culture and Heritage
- Brand Images of Place and New Urban Identities in Scotland:
The Case of Dundee, The City of Discovery . . .
MariaLaura Di Domenico
- Tourism Games and the Commodification of Tradition . . .
- Haggis and Heritage ~ Representing Scotland in the United
States . . . Euan Hague
- Visiting Places with 'Added Value': Learning from Pilgrimage
to Enhance the Visitor's Experience at Heritage Attractions . . .
||Leisure and Social Inclusion: New Challenges for Policy
eds G. McPherson et al. (2001)
ISBN 0 906337 84 4; £36
Social Exclusion and Policies for Leisure: An Introduction
. . . Gayle McPherson and Gavin Reid
- The Potential of Outreach Sports Initiatives for Young People
to Achieve Community Development and Social Inclusion through
Leisure . . . Fiona McCormack
- Delivering Public Leisure Services: Integrating People, Places
and Partnerships . . . Francis Lobo
- Leisure Services and Local Government in Scotland ~ Time
for a Divorce? . . . Ashley Pringle
- Exercise Referral Schemes in Scotland: Is it 'Joined-up Policy'?
. . . Malcolm Foley, Matt Frew and
- A Realist Approach to Evaluating the Impact of Sports Programmes
on Crime Reduction . . . Geoff Nichols
- " limp-wristed, Kylie Minogue-loving, football-hating,
fashion victims " Gay Sports Clubs ~ Providing for Male
Members, Challenging Social Exclusion? . . .
Lindsay King and Peter Thompson
- Benchmarking of Public Leisure Services: A Tool for Efficiency,
Effectiveness or Equity? . . . Susan
M. Ogden and David Booth
- Home Zones for Play Space: A Community Planning Perspective
. . . Debbie Hinds
- Including the Forty Percent: Social Exclusion and Tourism
Policy . . . Ronnie Smith
- A Disabled Leisure Studies: Theorising Dominant Discourses
of the Employed Body, the Able Body and the Active Body? . . .
- The Validation of Alternative Discourses in the Lifelong
Learning Systems of Australian Appreciative Outdoor Recreationalists
and Indigenous Peoples . . . Kim
||JUST Leisure: Equity, Social Exclusion and Identity
eds C. Brackenridge et al. (2000)
ISBN 0 906337 83 6; £32
Editor's Introduction . . . Celia
Brackenridge, David Howe and Fiona Jordan
I: Equity and Social Exclusion
- The Sexist State: Leisure, Labour and the Ideology of Welfare
Policy . . . Tess Kay
- Equity or Exclusion? Contemporary Experiences in Post-industrial
Urban Leisure . . . Euan Hague, Chris
Thomas and Stephen Williams
- What's the Score? Using Sport and Leisure as Diversion . . .
Jonathan Long, Eddy Lloyd and Jon Dart
- Social Disadvantage and Leisure Access: The Case of the Unemployed
. . . Francis Lobo
- Just sport ~ Sport and the Concept of Equal Opportunities
between Women and Men . . . Håkan
- Tied Together Through Sport? Sport and Social Cohesion in
New Housing Estates . . . Hugo van
der Poel and Colette Roques
- Homophobia and its Effects on the Inequitable Provision of
Health and Leisure Services for Older Gay Men and Lesbians . . .
Arnold H. Grossman
- The "Goodness of Fit" in Norwegian Youth Sports
. . . Reidar Säfvenbom
- Identities and Subculture in Relation to Sport: An Analysis
of Teenage Girls' Magazines . . . Claudia
- Glencoe: A Case Study in Interpretation . . .
Judith E. Brown
- Who Are These People? And What on Earth Are They Doing?!
. . . Lesley Lawrence
||JUST Leisure: Policy, Ethics and Professionalism
eds M. McNamee et al. (2000)
ISBN 0 906337 81 X; £40
Editors' Introduction . . . Mike
McNamee, Chris Jennings and Martin Reeves
Part I: Policy
- Changing their Game: The Effect of Lottery Sports Funding
on Voluntary Sports Clubs . . . Richard
- Issues of Legal Responsibility in Organised Sport and Outdoor
Recreation . . . John Hunter-Jones
- Sport and Leisure Planning: the Need for Assessment . . .
- Best Value in Leisure Services: a Philosophy or a Quality
System? . . . Christine Williams
- Fairness and Flexibility in the Scottish Leisure Industry
. . . Anna MacVicar, Margaret Graham,
Susan Ogden and Bernadette Scott
Part II: Ethics
- Sport, Leisure and the Ethics of Change Alun Hardman
- Just Leisure, Ethical Fitness, andEcophilosophical Perspectives
. . . Karla A. Henderson
- "Sorry Ref, I didn't see it" ~ The Limitations
of Shields and Bredemeier's Model of Moral Action . . .
- The Ethos of the Game: Representations of the Good Game and
the Good Player among Junior Football Players in Sweden . . .
Matz Franzén, Per Nilsson, Tomas Peterson
- Ethical Leisure: The 'Dark" and the 'Deviant" Disambiguated
. . . Heather Sheridan
- Sport ~ A Moral Laboratory? . . . Graham
Part III: Professionalism
- Applying the Principles of "Green Games": An Investigation
into the Green Practices of Event Organisers . . .
- The Professionalisation of Museum Volunteers: An Ethical
Dilemma . . . Margaret Graham
- An Examination of Coaches' Responsibilities for Premature
Athletic Disengagement of Elite Greek Gymnasts . . .
- The 'Hand of God'? . . . Claudio