and Popular Cultural Forms
(revised format) ed A. Tomlinson (1983)
ISBN 0 906337 23 2; £16
- Introduction . . . Alan Tomlinson
- The Pub: a Sociological Perspective . . . Michael
- Cultural Forms and Social Processes: the Pub as a Social
and Cultural Institution . . . John McEwan
- The Playing of Bingo: Industry, Market and Working Class
Culture . . . Rachel Dixey
- The Illusion of Community: Cultural Values and the Maning
of Leisure in a Gentrufying Neighbourhood . . . Alan
- Watching Television ~ Viewing with the Audience . . .
- The Image of Capitalism in Television Fiction . . .
- The Presentation and Consumption of Leisure: Blackpool as
a 'Site' of Pleasure . . . Grahame Thompson
and Social Control
ed A. Tomlinson (1981, revised format 1995)
ISBN 0 906337 60 7; £16
- Introduction . . . Alan Tomlinson
- Gambling and the Law: The Street Betting Act, 1906, as An
Attack on Working Class Culture . . . David Dixon
- The Sociology of Leisure: . . . Chas Critcher . . .
Review of the Conventional Wisdom . . . John Clarke
- Leisure in the 1930s . . . Alun Howkins and John
- Leisure Studies and Women . . . Susan McIntosh
- Young Women and Leisure . . . Chris Griffin
- Girls and Leisure . . . Trisha McCabe
- Young Women At home and Leisure . . . Dorothy Hobson
- Leisure as a Tool for Community Development and the Opiate
of the Masses . . . Jonathan Long
Sociological Study of Sport
(revised format) ed A. Tomlinson (1981)
ISBN 0 906337 21 6; £20
- Introduction . . . Alan Tomlinson
- Social Bonding and the Socio-Genesis of Violence: a Theoretical
Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Combat Sports . . .
- Ordered Segmentation and the Socio-Genesis of Football Hooligan
Violence: a Critique of Marsh's ""Ritualised Afression
Hypothesis" and the Outline of a Sociological Alternative
. . . Eric Dunning, Patrick Murphy and John Williams
- Sport and the Explanation (Understanding) of Action: the
Case of Basketball . . . Alistair J.S. Walker
- Attitudes to Running: Three Sources of Leisure Motivation
. . . Ken Starkey
eds L. Haywood and I. Henry (1985)
ISBN 0 906337 20 8; £22
- Leisure and Youth . . . Edited by Les Haywood and
- Introduction . . . Les Haywood and Ian Henry
- Unemployment, Youth and Leisure in the 1980s . . .
- Young People, School and Leisure: Developing . . .
Leo B. Hendry . . . Meta-Cognitive Skills?
- Young People and Leisure Needs: the Institutional Response
. . . John Leigh
- So What's Wrong with Social Democratic Youth Work Any Way?
. . . Paul Corrigan
- The Inner City as a Leisure Environment for the School Population
. . . Myriam Jansen-Verbeke
- Involvement of 15-19 Year-Olds in Sport and Physical Activity
. . . Jopsehine McCusker
- Seasonal Preferences in Children's out of School Activities
. . . Christine parkinson
- Participation in Sport by Young People . . . Sjoerd
- Boys Muscle in in Where Angels Fear to Tread: the Relationship
between Physical Education and Young Women's SUB-Cultures between
Home and School . . . Sheila Scraton
- Idel Rich, Idle Poor: Comparison of Students and the Unemployed
as a Basis for Restructuring Youth . . . David Marsland
- Leisure Provision in Lewisham: Some Issues for Community
Dance . . . Andy Ormston
- The Youth Sport Action Group in Arun: a Local Authority Pilo
Project . . . Ben Corr
- Developing Youth Participation in Sport and Recreation: . . .
John R. Stevens
- The Work of the West Midlands Region of Observations on the
Sports Council's 'Ever Thought of Sport?' Campaign . . .
- Functions of Youth Centre Work and Action Repertories for
Youth Workers . . . Lillian de Beukaler and Willy Faché
- New Ways of Working with Young People . . . Erica
- The Created Market Place for Youth in Sport, Leisure and
Recreation . . . Mike Smth
- Urban Poverty? Youth Culture and the Sub-Culture of the Boxer
. . . John Sugden
Pop Music in a Commercial . . . John Astley
- Music, Dance and West Indian Youth Sub-Culture . . .
and the Media
ed S. Glyptis (1983)
ISBN 0 906337 14 3; £9
- Leisure and the Media . . . Edited by Sue Glyptis
- Introduction . . . Sue Glyptis
- The Media as Leisure . . . John Heeley
- The Effect of aTV Series Designed to help Somers to Give
Up . . . Nadine Dyer
- Daily Life in the 1980s ~ a Major Study of Time Use By the
BBC (Research note) . . . Nadine Dyer
- Women, Leisure and Television . . . Dorothy Hobson
- Sit Sown with US: Television Sport As Armchair Theatre . . .
- The Promotion of of Recreational Opportunity at Kielder Reservoir
. . . . . . J.S. Calvert
- The Role of Television in Community Development and Education
. . . Derek jones
- The Human Face of Distance teaching: Educational Broadcasting
. . . Alan Clarke
and Leisure: Unemployment, Technology and Lifestyles
eds A.J. Veal, S.R. Parker and F. Coalter (1982)
ISBN 0 906337 13 5; £9
- The Historical Dimension of Leisure . . . Chas
- New Technology: the Quantity and Quality of Work and Leisure
. . . David Albury
- Leisure and Work: the Choices for 1991 and 200o . . .
Bill martin and Sandra Mason
- Unemployment and Leisure: An Ignored Dimension? . . .
George De Vink
- Leisure and Politics in the USA: Unemployment in the 'Affluent
Society' . . . John R. Kelly
- The Trouble with Being Unemplyed is that you Never Get a
Day Off . . . Paul Corrigan
- Action Sport: a Sports Council Initiative for Sports Leadership
. . . Jeff Sheridan
- Early Retirement : a New Leisure Opportunity . . .
- Unemployment, Sport and Recreation; Issues and Initiatives
in Two Midlands Cities . . . Sue Glyptis
- Youth (Workshop Report) . . . Fred Coalter
- Retirement (Workshop Report) . . . Sheila M. Peace
- Unemployment (Workshop Report) . . . M.A. Smith
- Cone Chairman's View of the Conference . . . Peter
ed W. Bacon (1982)
ISBN 0 906337 12 7; £8
- Introduction . . . William Bacon
- Education for Self-Development . . . James Hemming
- The Pleasure Principle: or Why The Curriculum Doesn't Work
. . . Maurice Plaskow
- People or paradigms: What Future for Community School? . . .
Erica Wimbush and Brian S. Duffield
- Education for Leisure in Australia . . . Ian Frencham
- Sport and Leisure in a university: Some Observations and
Notes . . . John E.R. Stevens
- Leisure and Outdoor Education: Problems and Opportunities
for Britain in the 1980s . . . Michael H. Gee
- Towards Techtopia? . . . W.H Armytage
- Leisure, the State and the Individual in the USSR . . .
- Education and Outdoor Recreation: An American Perspective
. . . Geoffrey Godbey
- Education for Leisure: a Case Study from the Netherlands
. . . George De Vink
- Technological Change and the Development of 'Rich Individuality'
in Work and Leisure . . . David Feickert
- Unemployment, Leisure and Education David H. Hargreaves
- Learning to Leisure in a More Socialist Society . . .
- Education and Leisure in POST Industrial Society . . .
Research: Current findings and future challenge
ed M. Collins (1982)
ISBN 0 906337 11 9; £10
- Analysis of the Concept of Leisure: Initial Thought and Findings
. . . Denise A. Hale and Janet E. Stockdale
- Research Methods Approprate to the Task . . . Janet
E. Stockdale and John G. Eldred
- Leisure Viewed from Before Retirement . . . Jonathan
- Personal Leisure Histories: An Interim Report . . .
- Qualitative Research Techniques . . . Ziona Strelitz
- A Practitioner's View of Leisure Research . . .
- A Practitioner's View of Leisure Research: Within a Department
of Recreation in Local Government . . . John Anderson
- Work, Leisure and Social Change . . . Bob Tyrell
- The Use of Satisfaction Statements in Studying . . .
- Developments in the Field of Leisure Information and Documentation
. . . Margaret Leighfield
for Leisure and Work
ed S. Glyptis (1981)
ISBN 0 906337 10 0; £8
- Introduction . . . Margaret Talbot
- Leisure in the Modern British Society . . . James
- The State, Leisure Provision and Traditional Working Class
Communities in the 1980s . . . William Bacon
- A Change for the Better? An Evaluation of the Edinburgh Seminar
. . . Brian S. Duffield
- Work, Unemployment and Leisure: Myths, Hopes and Realities
. . . Peter Kelvin
- Changing Leisure Patterns . . . Roger Sidaway
- The Politics of Leisure: Social Control and Social Development
. . . Chas Critcher
- Technological Change and the Future . . . Tom Stonier
- Leisure Provision and People's Needs . . . Michael
- Problems in the Analysis of The Concept of Leisure . . .
Janet E. Stockdale
- A Satisfaction Scale? . . . John Roberts
- Beyond the Work/Leisure Dichotomy . . . Ray Maw
- Unemployment and Leisure . . .J ean Rhodes
- Older Workers and Retirement . . . Stan Parker
- Summing Up and Conclusions of London Seminar . . .
in the 1980s: Alternative Futures
eds G. Cherry and A. Travis (1980)
ISBN 0 906337 0 97; £7
- Preface . . . Roger Sidaway
- Introduction . . . Gordon Cherry and Anthony Travis
- The Swedish Experience: Life and Leisure in An Affluent mixed
Economy . . . Jarold Swedner
- The Yugoslav Experience: Socialist Development and Participation
. . . Miroslav Dragicevic
- The North American Experience: Consumer Affluence and Leisure
Choice ~ from a European Perspective . . . Livin Bollaert
- The Technological Future and the Collapse of Work . . .
- The Ecological Alternative ~ A Socio-Political Scenario . . .
- The Spitirual Path of Personal Change . . . Kofi
- The Protestant Work Ethic . . . J Davies
- An Overview . . . J.T. Coppock